
I finally get to see a concert this year that absolutely moves me. I'm talking about the Deftones. Where do I begin??? Well let's start with another beautiful city, Luxembourg, which is the capital and largest city in the country of Luxembourg. These are very cool people. Nice and friendly (which is surprisingly hard to find in Europe) and, lucky for me, speak English. Before the show I went into a pub by the concert hall to get a beer (which is something I like to do when I first go to a city, because you can learn a lot about a country by the way they treat their beer). Everybody was glued to the TV, watching France vs. Switzerland in the World Cup 2006 tournament going on here now in Germany. The waitress was very hot and nice, and let me drink my beer outside while I waited in line for the show. As I went in, I noticed this was another small venue. T-shirts were up and for sale at about $100 bucks per shirt. Fuck that...I think it is or it use to be a club because it was laid out like one. Bars were everywhere in that place. So I drank a little more :) It didn't take too long for the opener to come out, which were none other than
Soulfly.

Never in my short life have I seen an opening band so damn good. I've heard of Soulfly from metal-head friends in high school, but never got into them. They came out with the Brazilian flag draped over the bass player’s amp. Also, Max Cavalera had a guitar shaped and made of a Brazilian flag. It was mad beautiful. Anyway, they rocked the house for about 30 minutes. They didn't waste anytime. They sort of captured and epitomize that Nu-Metal sound of the late nineties, with lots of snare driven drum lines, repetitive but melodic riffs, and growl-screams. I was definitely impressed. They had such a good stage presence too. The bass player Bobby Burns looked as if he was having a conversation with someone in the front row of crowd during the concert. Pretty much everybody except the drummer had some sort of interaction with the crowd. They rocked mad heavy and I’m so glad I saw them. Long Brasil vivo e Soulfly


Chino from the Deftones came out in full form. The venue was so small that most of his voice was a screeched yell. I think they had the mic gain or treble up too high. Abe, Stephen and Che followed after him, busting out with some new shit. Chino spent the beginning of the concert of this platform they had in the front of the stage for his patented hunched over scream in front of the crowd. I was smiling the whole time because they played everything I expected to hear (except "Teenager"). I never saw so much emotion from a whole band. They were all into every song they played. For a while, they seemed to be stuck on stuff from the Adrenaline album, which was fine with me. Chino spent the next part of the concert sitting and laying on the floor like an alternative metal version of James Brown. My man was workin hard. They then started dropping stuff from "Deftones" and "White Pony." All in all it was an amazing show. I'd break the first part of their set down into a little bit of stuff from "Deftones" and a lot from "Adrenaline." The second and last part was pretty much "White Pony" and "Around the Fur" with Chino working the room and jumping on the floor in the middle of songs. Max Cavalera from Soulfly came out and joined them for a song.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home